- Do not use stoves or naked flames to cook during a Total Fire Ban or Park Fire Ban. In some circumstances, you may use a stove inside a hut. Check with the park office before the trip.
- National Parks and Wildlife service do not permit camp fires in some national parks except in fireplaces provided by the park. Again, check before you go.
- Never leave a campfire or stove unattended
- Supervise pets and children around campfires
- Never burn aerosol cans as they may explode
- Never put glass in the fire pit as it heats up and shatters, leaving dangerous broken slivers of glass
- Never burn aluminium cans, which break down into smaller pieces and create harmful aluminium dust
- Pack out all rubbish
How do I light a campfire?
Ensure camp fires are thoroughly extinguished to prevent bush fires
- Extinguish all campfires and flames before going to bed
- Pour plenty of water on the fire to drown all embers, not just the red ones, until the hissing sound stops
- Stir ashes and embers with a stick or shovel, then scrape the sticks and logs to remove any embers
- If you do not have water, mix dirt or sand with the embers, stirring until all material is cool
- Do not bury the fire as it will continue to smoulder and could catch roots on fire that could start a bushfire. People could also walk over it inadvertently and get burned.
- Do not touch a camp fire that appears to be out as a poorly extinguished campfire retains heat for many hours
- If a camper’s clothes catch fire, stop them from running, push them to the ground and roll them over to extinguish the flames
- If a camper is burnt by a campfire do not apply lotion, ointment or alcohol
- Rinse the burn in running water for 20 minutes for example in a creek or river.
- Treat the patient for shock and apply a non-stick dressing
- Seek medical aid as soon as practicable if the wound is larger than a 20 cent coin.