The Sydney Morning Herald (SMH) of 31 December 2018 has a worrying report of two deaths from Tiger Snake bite. Antivenom was administered but it would seem that the dose was insufficient to counteract the snake venom. The SMH article suggests that there may be disagreement within the medical profession regarding the guidelines for the correct dose of antivenom; just how much antivenom is an appropriate dose of the latest type of antivenom. However, there is a call for more research in this matter that has been echoed by the Victorian Coroner.
Any snake bite victim needs to seen promptly by medical services. Despite this SMH report death from snake bite is now rare with modern antivenom.
Now since snakes are more likely to be active in the recent warm weather bushwalkers need to be more vigilant than usual and consider protective measures such as wearing gaiters or long trousers. As always, it is better to never get bitten but never forget your First Aid training for the treatment of snake bite. The necessary broad bandage needs to be easily accessible such as near the top of your rucksack.
A recent post from the Royal Flying Doctor at https://www.flyingdoctor.org.au/news/flying-doctor-issues-new-snakebite-advice/ contains excellent advise for treatment of snake bite.
Comments are closed.